This website is operated by the The Board of Trustees for the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh ("RBGE") and The Botanics Trading Company Limited ("Botanics Trading"), a subsidiary of RBGE (together, "We"). We are committed to protecting the privacy of all of our users.
This Policy (together with our Terms & Conditions of Use and any other documents referred to on it) sets out the basis on which any personal data We collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how We will treat it. By submitting personal details to us you are deemed as agreeing to the use of these details as described in this Policy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"), the data controllers are RBGE and BTC, both of 20A Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR. Both RBGE (registration number Z5723674) and BTC (registration number Z1398094) are registered with the Information Commissioner. The Information Commissioner's Office regulates the processing of information relating to you and grants you various rights in respect of your personal data. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any other website which you may link to from our own. This Policy applies solely to the information we collect.
In using this website We assume that you have read and understood this Policy.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our site www.rbge.org.uk and the Celebrate Life micro site celebratelife.rbge.org.uk (together, "Our Site"), and by filling in the order form on the Celebrate Life leaflet. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use Our Site, subscribing to our service, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by RBGE and/or Botanics Trading, and when you report a problem with Our Site.
- If you contact us, We may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that We use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through Our Site or by successfully submitting an order form from the Celebrate Life leaflet and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to Our Site (including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data), whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise, and the resources that you access.
IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information for our internal purposes and to our board of trustees, members and supporters. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve Our Site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise Our Site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to Our Site.
Storage of your personal data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although We will do our best to protect your personal data, We cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to Our Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once We have received your information, We will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Uses made of the information
Subject to the terms of this Policy, RBGE and Botanics Trading may share your information with each other for the purposes set out below.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from Our Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- Where you apply to become a member (a "Member") of RBGE's membership scheme, to process and administer your membership, and provide you with information about RBGE and its regional gardens.
- To provide you with other information, products or services that you request from us or which We feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
We may also use your data to provide you with information about goods and services from us which may be of interest to you, and We may contact you about these by post or telephone.
We will only contact you by electronic means (email or SMS) with information about similar goods and services only if you have consented to this, or previously ordered similar goods and services.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, please do not tick the "opt-in" box situated on the form on which We collect your data.
Disclosure of your information
Unless there are exceptional circumstances We will only disclose your personal information to third parties, such as our credit card payment services provider, who need that information in order to process any request or order from you.
Exceptional circumstances include:
- If RBGE and/or Botanics Trading or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If We are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms & Conditions of Use or terms and conditions of supply and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property or safety of RBGE and/or Botanics Trading, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if We intend to use your data for such purposes or if We intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms We use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com
Our Site contains links to and from the websites of our partner organisations, supporters and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Data Protection Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information We hold about you.